Announcement of MAOI statement
I am pleased to be able to announce that the MAOI statement authored by my ‘International MAOI expert group’, which includes over eighty signatories has now been published online, full text is here:
You can help by spreading knowledge of this publication.
The Expert group recommendations were:
- That bodies such as; professional organisations, health-care teaching institutions, and regulatory agencies act to facilitate the availability in their countries of all four MAOI medications (i.e., tranylcypromine, phenelzine, isocarboxazid, and STS).
- That pharmacy databases, drug-drug interaction software, electronic health records, and patient educational materials require urgent updating to incorporate correct state-of-the-art information on drug interactions and on dietary advice.
- That specialty training in psychiatry should incorporate knowledge of, and experience in, the clinical use of all MAOIs.
- That practice guideline developers incorporate information about MAOIs from older literature, clinical expertise, and patient perspectives to provide a more complete view of the important role of MAOIs in clinical practice.
- That there be improvement of continuing education about MAOIs and performance initiatives to audit MAOI prescribing, provide feedback to prescribers, and assure use of best practices with MAOIs.